Happy Birthday, Daddy

Today is your birthday.  I have no doubt you are celebrating, for the first time in many years, with your Mom and Dad, Grammy, Aunt Marie and Uncle Ed, your in-laws, and so many of your friends:  Uncle Jack and Aunt Arline, Ed K, Bill M, Sam D, Mary Grace A...just to name a few.  I'm sure you're all gathered around laughing and praising God.
But I miss you.  I say that alot, I know, but it's true.

This morning, my love quote was the following by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux: "We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us."  I thought of you when I saw the quote and knew I had to use it.  And then I found this photo - of you, Mom, and Rudy - which, to me, encompasses what the quote is all about...Tommy said that "St. Bernard rocks! One of the most bad-ass Catholic saints ever!"  He also said that you were, and I quote 'a Catholic bad-ass!" Have to chuckle at his statement, and knew you would appreciate it.


You were all about love, unconditional love.  I felt it so often.  You knew just what to say, or what not so say...you were able to feel each moment and act accordingly.  You always provided a resting place for those you loved...within your strong, loving arms.  This picture speaks of love and comfort, of peace and rest.  

We all miss those strong arms of yours, Daddy; the big hands that could comfort so tenderly.  These coming months won't be easy.  I think of today, and realize you went into the hospital a year ago tomorrow.  And then it all began, and slowly went downhill.  It's not easy thinking of the last two months of your life...and just now I am hearing the lonely train whistle, and it makes me think of you and the poem I wrote a few years ago.  The train whistle always reminds me of you. 

I love you.  Thank you for the gifts of love and rest you provided to me, to your family and to so many others. You rock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

Precious Moments and Simple Joys

I Cry