Oh My!

 


And it has nothing to do with lions, tigers, and bears. Mom is not Dorothy, and we are definitely not over the rainbow in Oz, or in Kansas for that matter. 😅


Oh My! is Mom's new catch phrase.  When she sees her morning pills, 'oh my! these are all mine?' Every. Single. Morning. And same for her evening pills, 'oh my! all these?' When she gets her breakfast, lunch, and dinner - no matter how small the serving size, 'oh my! what a feast!'. Every night she has ice cream for a snack. The same portion, the same vanilla ice cream. 'Oh my!  All this?! What a treat!'.  God bless her. 💖  We just smile and answer as if it's the first time we've heard the question. 


We are aware how fortunate we are. Mom could react much differently. She could refuse to take her meds, she could refuse to eat, and she could complain that she gets the same old, boring, vanilla ice cream every night (sorry, my love!). But it's all new to her. Every time we go to the store we hear 'get something good we would all enjoy. My treat'  Every time. We smile and say 'okay, Mom'. And when we come home and she asks if we got anything good, we tell her ice cream and she is happy.  Or we tell her chocolates (which we keep in the fridge - a never ending supply). Or cashews. She doesn't quite remember eating cashews, but the stash dwindles at a quick pace. 


I  battle with thoughts of deception or worse, lying. But in reading books and listening to others, it is a gentle deception. It is okay too meet her wherever she may be at the moment. The important thing is to always treat her with love and respect. And, oh my!, that is a very easy thing to do. 



Comments

  1. Oh my! That was simply beautiful sister!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your journey with Mom. It encourages me to emulate you and just be with Mom when I visit. Not too expect too much but to love a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you, Kristina. We have the same issues with mom. Pleasant enough, but doesn't recall a thing! Love on her while you still have her, even if the convos never change. She is comforted by your presence with her, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, we, think of your parents quite often. God bless all of you. ❤️

      Delete
  4. Best thing I've read in 2 weeks! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so true, from what I experienced on my visit. God has blessed you with patience!😍 She does appreciate all the love that she receives. She just doesn't always remember after a few minutes.💞💞🤗😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most important thing is that she always knows she is being loved and taken care of. And most importantly, she's happy!!😁😍

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know you had this blog. You are a wonderful daughter/caretaker. Sending support from one caretaker to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in this together. 👍 Thank you for taking the time to read...hope you stop by again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Cry

Precious Moments and Simple Joys