Journey of Love

 Life is full of changes and surprises. Some are good and expected, others shock the hell out of us and rock our world.  December 2019 changed my world.  Let me backtrack a bit to give some history. 


In 2008, my husband and I made the move from Maryland to Florida, leaving most of our family behind, including my parents.  Dad's health was not great, but we knew I could travel back and forth when needed.  I did so until his death in January 2011.  Mom's health was pretty good. And living in Florida, there wasn't much I could do except email every morning and call every night. In 2019, I noticed in our evening phone calls she was sometimes forgetful or sounded disoriented so I began to make regular visits.  Terry and I invited Mom to move to Florida and live with us. She accepted. September 2019, Mom suffered two mild strokes followed by a fall in October (fractured hip). The time in hospital and rehab took a toll, both physically and mentally, and Mom realized she was afraid to live alone. Decisions were made quickly and in December Mom made the move to Florida, sooner than she had anticipated.


Fast forward nine months.  Mom misses her friends and family, the home she shared with her husband of 60 years, but she has adjusted to her new home. She is content, and thankful, for the care she receives and knows she is where she should be. The 4-legged children have taken a liking to her and are a great comfort. As we know, they share their love unconditionally. Slowly, we are settling into a daily routine and finding our way - it is a journey of love.


We don't know what the future holds.  We do know the dementia will only get worse. There are days when Mom is very present. Other days, not so much. On those days, I watch as she reads the same paper time and again; I listen as she repeats the same stories, or asks the same questions over and over.  Some mornings, our relationship is not clear. She knows my face and knows I am someone who cares for her. But I can tell by her conversation that she isn't quite sure I am her daughter.  


Bottom line. We have the here and now. I am blessed to have a husband who is kind and gentle, and loves Mom. I am blessed we have a home that is perfect for this new arrangement. I am blessed to have the love and support of my family.  And yes, I am blessed to share this journey of love with the woman who gave me life. 




Comments

  1. BEAUTIFUL ❣️❣️I love you sister and thank you for taking such AMAZING CARE of our dear MARMIE❣️❣️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crying😭. You are such a gifted writer. I for one am thankful for all you and your husband do for our Mother. You chose the perfect picture for the resurgence of your blog. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful sister! As too am so very grateful for the wonderful care you and T provide for our Mom! So happy that you found your muse again ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe!!! That was beautiful sister!!πŸ’“πŸ’žπŸ˜š I know mom is very grateful as well as I for all the care and love you and Terry provide!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

I Cry

Precious Moments and Simple Joys