The Truth of Depression

Hello again.

Back by not so popular demand 😁 

Depression is a sneaky thing.  Depression doesn't play fair. And depression does not make sense.  By all accounts, on paper, I should be the happiest person on earth. I have a loving, devoted husband, a wonderful marriage, a beautiful home, family and friends that love me unconditionally, fairly good health. The list is endless.  Yet for years, I have suffered from mild depression.  

I have always believed that depression was a state of mind - that one could choose to be depressed, or one could choose to be happy.  I didn't get it.  But it is not so simple.  My depression started in 2009, with a horrific family tragedy. Subsequent years were followed by my father's death along with sudden deaths (and not so sudden) of  family members and friends. And though our move to Florida was/is the best thing we have ever done, the isolation from family took a toll. 

As I said above, depression does not makes sense.  Here's why. At the time we moved here, there was quite a bit of family stress. I relished the fact that I was not front and center any more, that I could easily distance myself.  And yest distancing created isolation. As much as I want socialization, I crave solitude even more.  I know truth. I know I am loved. I know I have a God-given talent for writing. I know I have a purpose. I know I am a good person. But the truth often fades with the complex ramblings in my mind. Every day is a battle between veracity and mendacity.  The political schism in our home and this pandemic has created even greater isolation. 

Fear not, my friends. There are days of sunshine and happiness. My baby sister has just moved down to Florida and lives a mile away. We see each other almost every day and it has been a true blessing having her so close. As mundane as my days can be with Mom, I am blessed to spend these days with her. My four legged babies bring me comfort. And my husband still remains my greatest love. πŸ’—

If you are one who believes that depression is a choice, I ask that you reconsider. If you know of someone who suffers, be kind and patient.  Depression is a complex, sneaky disease. And that's the truth. 


Comments

  1. AMEN! Molly and I were just talking about this very same thing today. Depression is EVIL and it’s insidious. I don’t wake up in the morning and say” I’m going to be depressed today, no, it’s just there looming over ones head like a dark cloud that follows you wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t that strange? You were talking about it and of all days, I wrote about it. πŸ’•

      Delete
  2. So well said and dead on. Depression is not a choice. I too am so grateful that we are able to see one another almost daily and

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, beautifully written prose Kristina about a very misunderstood illnessπŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was important to speak my truth ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

I Cry

Precious Moments and Simple Joys