Remembrances

So many memories are floating through my mind these past days...memories of my Dad, and just how he seemed to always know what I needed:

I remember when I broke up with one of my boyfriends (which was probably in answer to Daddy's prayers!), he came over to my apartment and sat with me, consoled me and held me while I cried.

I remember when the engine blew in my malibu classic.  The repairs went on for months, and Dad insisted that I handle everything myself...he said it would teach me to stand up for myself...it surely did.

I remember when I had my first accident, sliding on ice.  I got to work, called my Daddy, crying, saying I didn't want to drive home - asked if he would come get me;  he said 'no, if i come and get you, you'll never drive in snow/ice again; you need to get back in the car and drive home'...as always, he was right.

One particular Christmas I was having a very rough time - just very sad and depressed; I wanted an Oxford Dictionary, but knew it was too expensive for 'Santa Clause'...after everyone opened their gifts, Dad said there was one more that was hidden behind a chair, and it was for me.  I opened it, and there was my dictionary...still one of my most cherished possessions. 

There was a time when I was very upset about something happening at work.  Mom knew something was wrong and was insisting that I tell her; Dad simply hugged me and said 'when you're ready to talk, i'm here'...of course, I started bawling and blubbered the whole story.  Again, he held me and consoled me.

So many memories.  One of my nieces told me today that I was a female PopPop...that my words of wisdom, and my hugs always made her feel better.  I couldn't ask for a better compliment.  And although I somewhat doubt her words, what an ideal to aspire to.

Comments

  1. Kristiner--what wonderful memories. Your dad was so wise and wonderful! Ahh-the malibu--is that the one from Maine, when you said, "I'm pulling out!"?? And what a compliment from your niece, and certainly TRUE...love you girl. Joan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

Precious Moments and Simple Joys

I Cry