Books


Some friends and I were having a discussion today (on facebook) about books vs. kindles, etc.  The conversation reminded me of this poem I had written some time ago.  My love of books came from Dad...he had such a vast library and I loved browsing through his shelves.  Books are a part of me.  I love the feel, the smell; they bring a comfort to my spirit and soothe my soul.  Perhaps that may sound a bit odd, or a bit over the top, but it's true.  When I am troubled, I love sitting in my library.  I love to look at the books - the shapes and sizes, the titles.  Some are old, some are new; some are worn, some are not.  But each one is special and unique.  And now that Dad is gone, my books are a connection to him. 

Old Books
Safe haven,
rich aroma
of old books,
greatly comforts,
soothes my soul,
hard to explain
indescribable solace.

Copyright @ Kristina M. Hooper

This is a whitney, or an attempt at such...lines 1, 3, & 5 are 3syllables; lines 2, 4, & 6 are 4 syllables, line 7 has 7syllables...may or may not rhyme


Comments

  1. Lovely poem and A+ for you effort at a whitney:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem captures all that we book-lovers hold dear about
    those wonderful old repositories of books. E-books don't have the qualities we associate with books. The sentimentality, the memories, and the tactile experience are not the same. This is the price you pay for convenience and
    low cost. My best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count - you're right. I inherited my love of books from my Dad, and nothing can compare to the smell, feel, or the emotional impact a books has...Sometimes technology isn't all that...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

Precious Moments and Simple Joys

I Cry