Ordinary Things



It's funny how we hear/read/see things exactly when we are meant to do so.
This morning I wrote in my journal 'my life is so unexciting. so mundane.'  I then picked up a book called "Life is Messy", by Matthew Kelly - a small, easy to read book that I picked up from the back of church. I opened and read the following:

"Cherish the Ordinary 
It was the ordinary things that saved me. I have experienced enough extraordinary to know that I would choose the ordinary over the extraordinary all day long. Learn to cherish the ordinary. Make a list of twenty ordinary things that bring you joy when you experience them consciously. Here's my list: breathing. sleeping. waking. water. nature. food. reading. thinking. conversation. music. ar. seasons. friendship. children. kindness. chocolate. laughter. hugs. holding hands. home.  Allow the ordinary to heal you."

Wow. Not the extraordinary! The ordinary! The simple things that are a part of my daily life. The ordinary things that MAKE my life what it is!  Here are my twenty ordinary things:
Home. Writing. Henley. Hugs. Nature. Walks. Reading. Music. Pictures. Family. Love. Popcorn. Movies. Poetry. Plants. Books. Blankets. My Love. Giving. Praying. 

My life may be unexciting. My grief may descend upon me suddenly. My depression may hit me in the face. But where would I be without those twenty things? Those twenty things bring me comfort. They ease my sadness and loneliness. Yes, these ordinary things heal me. What are YOUR twenty ordinary things? 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

I Cry

Precious Moments and Simple Joys