Natural Highlights

So, today, I have an appointment to get my hair cut and colored.  We have a wedding to attend at the end of the month and I want to look my best.  And to me, that's an alarm to get the hair cut and the gray covered up.  Yes, I admit, I have gray hair...see photo on left - the 'colorful' sides'!

I keep thinking that I am going to be 'natural'...no more coloring...let the gray come...after all, I am in my 50s now - why not?  Yet, when I see the gray coming I almost start to panic and know it's only a matter of time before I hit the salon, or the box.  Why?  Why is it that men can turn gray and it looks 'distinguished' or sexy?  What's up with that?  But a woman turns gray and we think we look old and, well, haggard.  Why the double standard?  Of course, I think women put more pressure on themselves - our men probably would say we are beautiful, regardless of hair color.  My husband would tell me not to worry.

In fact, on our first date my husband commented on my gray.  We were in a romantic setting, in a canoe, rowing downstream, reminiscing about our childhood/families, when he said 'I like your gray hair'...I was stunned and quickly responded 'what gray hair, they are highlights!'  And at that time, 14 years ago, it was highlights - no gray then.  But even now he tells me he doesn't mind the gray...how sweet he is.

But this afternoon, I'll look like a new person - nicely colored and highlighted - no gray!(see below)

Comments

  1. You have a real talent with words, a natural flow that always captures just enough poignant essence so that anyone can relate to each of your stories in some small way...

    Keep writing...

    Finetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kristina -

    I was happy to see you had started your own blog. I popped over from World of Poets and truly enjoyed my visit with you today. You are so talented.(smile) It's good to have you back on the poet site...and your blog is awesome! Loved your picture!

    Blessings to you,
    Mattie (hazelm @ World of Poets)

    p.s. I have two blogs, but due to my health I have not been posting for the past few months. I will add a link to your blog on mine. I know others would enjoy visiting you... If you'd rather I didn't, just message me at WOP.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

Precious Moments and Simple Joys

I Cry