Introduction

Who am I?

I recently retired and my husband and I moved to Florida, leaving most of our families behind.  There are days when I miss the family, days when I do not.  

One would think that being recently retired would be a good thing, and indeed, it is.  However, I have come to the conclusion that retiring and relocating should not have happened at the same time.  I should have stopped working, adjusted to the new life of a lady of leisure, started projects, then moved.  Instead, it all happened at once and I am having a hard time adjusting.  Not to say I don't like my free time - it's just that there is A LOT of free time.  And now that my husband has been working, I am left to fend for myself.  

I haven't made any friends, but I don't really want to make the effort.  I have come to realize that I am not the 'people person' I once thought I was.  And that's okay.  I am quite content to be at home on my computer, writing poetry, playing bejeweled or mahjong, surfing the net.  I have projects lined up and thoughts of volunteering...thoughts...the projects are slowly taking shape, the volunteering not so much.  And that's okay.  

I think one of the hardest things to get used to is realizing that there is no deadline for anything.  That can be good and bad.  But I don't have to start my project today - if I don't, I can start tomorrow, or the next day, or the next.  While working, we tend to be on such a schedule - be at work at a certain time, eat lunch at a certain time, finish deadlines at certain time, leave work at a certain time...life revolves around a clock and each minute is pretty much scheduled.  It ain't so anymore!  I am free...as much as I wanted to be free, I am very much surprised at just how hard it has been to adjust.

 

Comments

  1. WOW!!! I can totally relate - well not to being retired and not NOT being on a timeline BUT... as far as not being the people person I "thought" i once was :).... Hmmm... maybe I was never really a people person - LOL....

    At any rate... fantastic read!! I just know this adjustment period will end soon for you.

    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

Precious Moments and Simple Joys

I Cry