Orders Received


First, let me say that staying up to 1:00am awaiting election results is not a good thing. It makes me tired, cranky, and out of sorts.  And not a very productive specimen of humanity. More like a couch potato, with a cat stretched across my chest which makes for very interesting typing. 

Okay.  On to the orders.  Mom has been very tired lately.  She sleeps quite a bit. Each day, I battle with with waking her or letting her sleep.  Do I wake her up and encourage her to dress?  Do I strongly (never demand) encourage her get outside to fresh air - good medicine for her body, mind, and soul? Then I think 'Kristina, she is 90 years old!  If she wants to sleep, let her sleep!' But is that wise? 

My plan for the day was to peruse my 'dementia' books.  I have two that are quite good. 'Creating Moments of Joy Along the Alzheimer's Journey' by Jolene Brackey and 'The 36-Hour Day' by Nancy Mace and Peter Rabins.  Both are good books for researching and understanding dementia, and both give good, common sense answers/advice. However, due to my lethargic state of mind, the books still sit on my end table, unopened.  

Today, it is 1:45 and she is still in her jammies, in her room, sleeping. She woke up quite alert and sat in the library for a bit drinking coffee and reading the paper.  She went in to get dressed, but stalled in her chair.  Just went to check on her (for the third time) and decided I should try to wake her and encourage her to dress.  She thought she had already changed, and informed me that yesterday we went for a very long walk. Incorrect.  Yesterday she was not up to going out and stayed home as I walked the dog. In a very strong voice, she said "I don't know what you're supposed to do at 90, how I am supposed to be."  And I answered back with "Neither do I, Mom."  Then, very strongly she said 'Well, I think you should find out."  So there.  I have my orders.  And since that's what I was going to do anyway, I think it's a very good idea. 

P.S. 4:30pm Mom asked what I was reading. I told her. And mentioned that walking/fresh air is important, according to the books. This led to Mom issuing a new routine for herself. Up and dressed by 9:00am, breakfast and coffee by 10:30ish. And then out for a daily walk. Let’s see how this works. I have my orders - again. 


Comments

  1. I love you so much! I hope Mom remembers the routine she discussed, but sadly she probably won’t 😢 keep writing Krissy, you are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh My!

I Cry

Precious Moments and Simple Joys